[Fwd: Re: [aduug] January Unix Lunch - Monday 19th January]

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Jan 14 16:55:49 CST 2004

Long/short syndrome somewhere

On Wednesday, 14 January 2004 at 15:12:47 +1030, Mark Prior wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:55:56 +1050, gaward at internode.on.net wrote:
>> [missing atrtribution]
>>> Well it seems we have more people available on Friday than
>>> I thought we  would get (with some indicating that they
>>> are only available if it's  this week) so I think it's
>>> safe to move it to Friday.
>>>
>>> In the interest of trying to keep it quick for those you
>>> want to go back  to the conference for afternoon sessions
>>> (while not cramping others) it  might be best to (a) warn
>>> the restaurant and (b) use a banquet menu.
>>>
>>> It's not clear if the web site is up to date but an Eros'
>>> banquet lunch  menu is at
>>> <http://www.erosouzeri.com.au/4.html>.
>>>
>>> Can those who want to come (including additional people)
>>> let me know and  I will see what the restaurant can do for
>>> us.
>>
>> Hi Mark, have you phoned the restaurant to find out if they can do
>> this.  It took me 8 mins to walk up there (and I took short cuts -
>> across the top of the underground carpark, north tce, frome st).
>> So most people will need to allow 10 mins odd, ie. 20 mins rtn
>> leaving only 40 mins to get the food, eat it and sort out the bill,
>> which I don't think is doable.
>>
>> What do you mean by "cramping others" ?
>>
>> PS. On the contrary, I've popped in to cafe michael and done a
>> lunchtime special which arrived within 5 mins (hardly had enough
>> time to sit down and log on to citilan :), and I'm closer to the
>> venue.
>
> So who else is time constrained on Friday?

Probably everybody at the LCA.  Lunch is from 12:45 to 1:45.

There seem to be two possibilities for this month's dinner:

1.  We do it for locals with plenty of time.  In that case, it
    shouldn't be this week.
2.  We do it for interested LCA attendees as well, in which case we
    want something fast.

I'm easy with either solution, but having been through a few of these
hurried lunches in the last few months, I think it's counterproductive
to have a lunch this week that can't guarantee being finished pretty
quickly.  If we do it on Friday, it seems sensible to do it somewhere
faster and closer to the Uni.  Isn't there a pizzeria in Frome St.?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.